[Blindmath] Accessible Textbook Finder Beta: Federated Search

James McCarthy jmccart at lbph.lib.md.us
Thu Jul 28 13:10:55 UTC 2011

Richard,
At least one of the named providers does not actually provide accessible
textbooks. This is the Access Text Network. That source is a substantial
data base of materials from the top (I think 8) college publishers including
their imprints. Member schools of the Access Text Network can get these
files in an electronic form, usually PDF in order to make them accessible.
My guess is that your file can be gotten from ATN if yours is a member
school. The AMAC makes materials accessible and so any files that come from
their may already be accessible or they probably would be willing to make
them so for a fee, though anyone interested would really be best advised to
contact them directly. The other sources would be accessible. I have not
looked at this resource yet and don't know if it actually indicates the
provider of the material or whether the material located is in fact
accessible and in what file formats it can be had. Creating this single
point book location service has been a long time goal of the Access Text
Network.
Jim McCarthy