[Blindmath] Nemeth symbol question

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 4 18:20:44 UTC 2011

Thank you! That helps a great deal.
Sarah

-----Original Message-----
From: blindmath-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blindmath-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of cnsbaker at access.k12.wv.us
Sent: March 4, 2011 10:19 AM
To: Blind Math list for those interested in mathematics
Subject: Re: [Blindmath] Nemeth symbol question

According to The Nemeth Braille Code for Mathematics and Science Notation
1972 Revised (commonly called The Green Book) the symbol 2 4 6 can be many
things but when preceded by a superscript or subscript (which it is in this
case) it is a contraction for comma and optional space at the superscript or
subscript level.

Explanation of when this sign is used:
A commonly occurring superscript or subscript notation is the one in which
two consecutive items are separated by a comma with an optional space
following the comma. In this configuration, the symbol 2 4 6 must be used to
replace the comma and the optional space used in this way. This contracted
form must not be used to replace a comma and the optional space which
follows it in a configuration which is on the base line.

The print example shows:
x subscript i comma space subscript j comma space subscript k

The Nemeth example shows:
dots 1 2 4 6 dots 5 6 dots 2 4 dots 2 4 6 dots 2 4 5 dots 2 4 6 dots 1 3

so the dots 2 4 6 are for the comma and space in the print between
subscripts that belong to the x

Hope this helps.

 Connie