[Blindmath] Access2Science

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 18:55:01 UTC 2011

Hi Birkir,

Birkir R. Gunnarsson <birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is not something to, perhaps, do right away, but I
> have always
> wanted someone who is doing a higher education or fulltime
> STEM job to
> have a blog on a site like this and detailing the issues
> they run into
> and what software they have used to sole those issues,

Provided that they can afford these solutions
:-)

This is largely possible in countries where support is provided to purchase expensive assistive technologies.
But in the rest of the world, you are stuck in a terrible cycle.
To work in a quantitative field, you need practically unaffordable assistive devices. You cannot buy these devices unless you work for a nice salary. To get that nice salary, you need those assistive devices.

Leaving my cynical thoughts aside, I put the exact same question to Prof. Gardner at ICCHP.
Are you sure that you and I are not long lost twins or something?
:)

I know a couple of people who are living the kind of life you describe.
One is Dr. Robert Shelton who works at NASA and is the developer of MathTrax.
As far as I know, he does non-accessibility related work for NASA.
Another would be Bert who is an Economist presently based in Netherlands.
There is also Dr. T.V. Raman who is working for Google, but he is a huge believer in open source technologies, so I doubt that he has used any of the available expensive assistive solutions.

Regards