[Blindmath] HIgh School Math Teaching

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 6 18:22:36 UTC 2011

Hi Billy,

You've already gotten some great responses.

There are many manufacturers of braille displays.  Not being a braille user
myself, it isn't appropriate for me to recommend a particular brand.  If
your question was really about not being able to afford the purchase price,
there are probably charitible organizations that would help.

I actually started my career in 1963 as a high school chemistry teacher and
I well remember spending nights and weekends grading papers. This was back
when my (former) husband was in graduate school and I didn't yet have any
children so I had the time although I certainly didn't find that aspect of
teaching enjoyable.  My class load was 120 to 150 students.

Later when I was in graduate school preparing for a different career, I also
did some teaching.  One idea that worked well then was to give a short
single-question test at the beginning of every lecture.  These tests were
graded all-or-nothing: no part credit.  I graded these myself but this could
easily have been done by an assistant since there was no leeway as far as
what was correct.  A sighted person should be able to grade 120
single-question all-or-nothing tests in half an hour or less.

I also concur about looking into computer-based math entry systems.  My
understanding is that many colleges and universities now require students to
use such systems.

Best wishes,
Susan Jolly