[Blindmath] Novice question: What is the best way to use MathType?

Jaquiss, Robert RJaquiss at nfb.org
Thu May 19 13:24:21 UTC 2011

Hello Steve:

     Thanks for the information.

Regards,

Robert

Robert Jaquiss
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230
Phone: 410-659-9314, ext. 2422

-----Original Message-----
From: blindmath-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blindmath-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Stephen L Noble
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:51 AM
To: Blind Math list for those interested in mathematics
Subject: Re: [Blindmath] Novice question: What is the best way to use MathType?

By the way, MathDaisy will embed the proper MathML code into the DAISY
XML file, but it also produces an alternate image of the math expression
and an accompanying alternate text description of the math image. The
additional image and alt text are used by less sophisticated DAISY
readers which do not have native MathML support. ReadHere does have
native MathML support, but you may need to change the setting to switch
from reading the recording of synthetic speech which is created in the
Save-as-DAISY process, to reading the DAISY etext directly. I have not
used ReadHere lately, so I don't remember the default setting.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------
-- Steve Noble
Chair, National Technology Task Force
Learning Disabilities Association of America
steve.noble at louisville.edu
502-969-3088

--------------
Disclaimer: The opinions and comments made in email are those of the
author, and do not necessarily represent the official position of any
organization unless explicitly stated.

>>> "Jaquiss, Robert" <RJaquiss at nfb.org> 5/18/2011 4:41 PM >>>
Hello Roopakshi:

     Thank you for your note. I downloaded the latest version of
MathType. I also downloaded the latest versions of the MathDAisy plugin
ich apparently works with the Save-As DAISY plugin. The MathPlayer
plugin is for Internet Explorer. I observe that the conversion to DAISY
results in an image. I thought I was having troule with my DAISY reader
and needed to the the ReadHere from GH LLC.