[Blindmath] MathJax Accessibility: math/STEM universal access/design

Kevin Chao kevinchao89 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 23:19:52 UTC 2011

MathJax is an open source JavaScript display engine for mathematics
that works in all modern browsers.
No more setup for readers. No more browser plugins. No more font
installations… It just works.
Accept following sources:
LaTeX
MathML

http://www.mathjax.org/

Unfortunately, there's not an MathJax accessibility API, which web
browsers can use, which will allow assistive technologies, such as
screen readers to work with beautiful math in all browsers. As far as
I'm aware, there's no MathJax accessibility in Windows IE9/8, Chrome
15-17, Firefox 4-10; Mac OS X Safari, Webkit, Lightning, and/or
Chrome; iOS 5 Safari; Android Mobile Accessibility Web browser or
Ideal Web Reader.

MathJax has the potential to make math/STEM accessibility truly
universal and not speicific to MathML and IE8, MathPlayer 2.2, and
JAWS 12.

It has the potential to completely revolutionize math/STEM
accessibility for all, but I would like to know what's the best
approach in MathJax including universal access/design, and it working
for all? Perhaps, it should be a community effort, where we all
contact MathJax, create a petition, or some other campaign effort?

Thanks,

Kevin