[Blindmath] MathJax Accessibility: math/STEM universal access/design

Noble,Stephen L. steve.noble at louisville.edu
Tue Nov 8 18:31:42 UTC 2011

Hi Birkir,

As an advocate, I have these kind of discussions with vendors all the time...including Microsoft. But I cannot force Microsoft, Adobe, Freedom Scientific or any other vendor to do anything...all I can do is make convincing arguments, which they generally ignore by essentially saying "you are the only person who feels this is an issue." It will take concerted organized efforts by the accessibility community and advocacy groups to push this issue forward.

A number of us in the advocacy/accessibility field met last month with the Obama administration to talk about these issues and to bring STEM accessibility to a higher level of visibility. I think we made some headway, but it will take continuing follow-up discussions with key federal agencies to move this forward. But this is the kind of action that will be needed to make real substantive change. There are many pieces of the puzzle, some of these are found, others are still in waiting. As one person, I cannot fix all of these problems. But, I am doing my part. Last month I took 10 days off without pay to work on STEM accessibility issues. I simply cannot sustain that level of interaction on a continuing basis, but I am doing what I can. We all need to work together and find all the puzzle pieces, one piece at a time...but hopefully, with increasing speed.

--Steve Noble
steve.noble at louisville.edu
502-969-3088