[Blindmath] Format for matrices

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Wed Nov 9 19:40:17 UTC 2011

In IE9 and several other browsers, you can use HTML5, but using XHTML is
safer as it works in older versions of IE and Firefox.  You can also use
MathJax to display the MathML, which will render in ALL browsers.  Works on
mobile devices also (ipads, android, ...).  You need to get the header
right.  Examples below.  If you use MathJax and use IE+MathPlayer to view
it, the math is accessible.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~

Here's XHTML (give it a suffix .xhtml or .xht):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN" "
http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd" [<!ENTITY mathml "
http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">]>

http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en">

</head>
<math display='block' xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML'>
 <mrow>
   <mrow>
    <mtable>
     <mtr>
      <mtd>
       <mn>1</mn>
      </mtd>
      <mtd>
       <mn>0</mn>
      </mtd>
      <mtd>
       <mn>0</mn>
      </mtd>
      <mtd>
       <mn>0</mn>
      </mtd>
     </mtr>
     <mtr>
      <mtd>
       <mn>0</mn>
      </mtd>
      <mtd>
       <mn>1</mn>
      </mtd>
      <mtd>
       <mn>0</mn>
      </mtd>
      <mtd>
       <mn>0</mn>
      </mtd>
     </mtr>
     <mtr>
      <mtd>
       <mn>0</mn>
      </mtd>
      <mtd>
       <mn>0</mn>
      </mtd>
      <mtd>
       <mn>1</mn>
      </mtd>
      <mtd>
       <mn>0</mn>
      </mtd>
     </mtr>
     <mtr>
      <mtd>
       <mn>0</mn>
      </mtd>
      <mtd>
       <mn>0</mn>
      </mtd>
      <mtd>
       <mn>0</mn>
      </mtd>
      <mtd>
       <mn>1</mn>
      </mtd>
     </mtr>

    </mtable>
   </mrow>
 </mrow>
</math>

Here's HTML5:

<!DOCTYPE>
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>HTML5 + MathML with no explicit namespace</TITLE>
<META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv="Content-Type">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<H2>HTML5 + MathML with no explicit namespace</H2>

[...]

</BODY></HTML>

Here's a (HTML4) page using MathJax:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<title>MathJax + MathML Test Page</title>
<script type="text/javascript"
  src="
http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML
">
</script>
</head>
<H1>HTML5 + MathML with no explicit namespace</H1>

<math display='block' >
 <mrow>
   <mrow>
    <mtable>