[Blindmath] Format for matrices

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Thu Nov 10 11:38:26 UTC 2011

Andrew,

The link that you sent was very helpful. The MathML rendered properly in
Firefox and Chrome, but did not render properly in IE9. IE9 rendered the
MathML as "[Math Processing Error]"

When I listened to your example A, which is a 3x4 rectangular matrix
containing 12 numbers, what I heard was a voice calling out the following
15 individual digits in column order:

1 4 7 1 0 2 5 8 1 1 3 6 9 1 2

The ten was turned into the words "one zero" with no indication that it
really represented the value ten and the eleven was turned into the words
"one one" with no indication that it really represented eleven. I don't
know how a blind person could possibly make sense of that. If there is a
tool that is readily available to blind students that can handle that
matrix in an accessible way, I would like to hear about it, and for that
reason, I am going to repost this message on the blindmath mailing list.

By the way, the link to the sample is
http://mathsnotes.math.ntnu.no/mathsnotes/show/homework+2011+8 just in case
the earlier material gets chopped by my email client.

As to your last paragraph about "letting someone else do it," I agree and
would prefer to use a standard such as MathML provided that it results in
an accessible document. However, there isn't much point in doing the work
if it can't be read by a large portion of the target audience.

Thanks again
Dick Baldwin

--
Richard G. Baldwin (Dick Baldwin)
Home of Baldwin's on-line Java Tutorials

Professor of Computer Information Technology
Austin Community College
(512) 223-4758
mailto:Baldwin at DickBaldwin.com
http://www.austincc.edu/baldwin/