[Blindmath] Version 0.0.19 of SVGDraw01 with AudioTac is now available for download

Pranav Lal pranav.lal at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 14:48:02 UTC 2011

Hi Richard and all,

I had a go at the audiotac display in this latest version.
1. I can read the descriptions and texts of the shape without any problems.
This is true for both NVDA and Jaws.
2. Thanks to this, I am much better at identifying the shape I am on. I can
supplement my navigation with feedback if I need it. It would be nice to
have automatic announcement of shapes but this would have to be a
customizable option.

3. You may want to add an option for speaking the SVG element. I can leave
the name and description blank or enter junk values. When I would review the
drawing later, I would be stuck. Speaking the SVG element name will give me
an idea of what I have done. Of course, this would not be true for the path
and polyline elements but that is beyond anyone's control.

4. I don't know if we need a display window with the name of the shape. I do
not want that additional step of pressing enter to dismiss that dialog.
However, as of now, leave it there since as far as I know, you would need to
implement screen reader specific functionality to get the screen reader to
speak the output without displaying it on the screen.

5. This may be an issue of a lack of practice but we will need to make the
tones used for each shape more different. I am ok with the 3 sets of tones
in a given shape but a circle and a line can have remarkably similar tones.
This is currently mitigated by the speaking of the name and description of
the shape since I can check what I am on.

6. As regards NVDA, I did not notice any improvement with it as compared to
using Jaws. The only difference was that NVDA was speaking the elements on
the screen while I was moving around so if I reached a window title, it
would speak that window title. This is how NVDA works by default. This
feature is useful but can get too verbose after some time. This is beyond
your control so let it be for now.

7. I still cannot import a file into my drawing. When I try to invoke the
import option from the file menu or via its hotkey, nothing happens.

8. If I close the program without saving my drawing, I should be given the
option to save the drawing. This will prevent the accidental discarding of a
drawing. This is how programs such as Excel and Word work.

9. When I close the program, I do not need a warning telling me that the
program is about to close. I have answered "yes" to closing and that should
be that.

10. The program should pick up my screen resolution and set the audiotac
display's parameters accordingly. As an end-user, I do not want the hassle
of going into my control panel and checking the resolution slider.

11. Getting to the home position of a shape. Is it possible to get to the
home position of a shape? For instance, for squares etc, the top left
position, that is closer to the origin can be the home position while for
circles and other curves, the home position could be the center. I am
suggesting this feature since it is possible for me to move my hand in any
way on a shape. Suppose I have a rectangle, I can move my hand in a circular
motion. If this was a tactile diagram, I would feel the shape but because  I
need to trace the shape here, I need some way of guiding my hand. I realize
this becomes complex with paths and polylines therefore I am asking here as
to how do we show the shape and guide the user's movement?

Pranav