[Blindmath] Accessible display format for matrices

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Nov 15 12:44:02 UTC 2011

Hello,
NVDA not working with MathML is specific to NVDA, Window-eyes and Jaws
should work with mathplayer, however as some have noticed due to the
limitations of the accessibility tools mathplayer only creates words for
the equation (words for how the equation should be spoken) and so is not
good when using a Braille display or when you want to navigate the
equation. I don't know how mathplayer deals with a matrix, but what I
have said in general about mathplayer will give you an idea of how it
will be at best.

The following is a system I have used in the past, I do not claim it to
be the most efficient or even if its really worth recommending but it
can be used and has been. You could use a notation like that used in
matlab or octave for inputting a matrix. You start the matrix with a
left square bracket ([), separate each cell in a row by a comma (,),
separate the rows by a semicolon (;) and end the matrix with a right
square bracket (]). So the matrix:
1 3 2
12 4 3
5 2 4
would be written as [1, 3, 2; 12, 4, 3; 5, 2, 4].

Just from reading the example above you probably can tell why I would
not say its the most efficient, many operations on a matrix look nice
when you have the layout and I think whenever I was dealing with this I
would use the linear notation above to read it and then I would copy it
out into Braille (laying out in 2D) for ease of working.

The above is not the only linear type notation, you could go down the
route of the LaTeX way of defining tables/arrays/etc.

Michael Whapples