[Blindmath] SPSS 19 and Windows 7 64 Bit Operating System

Birkir R. Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 15:09:36 UTC 2011

Hi Ian

I would not count on anything happening to improve accessibility ..
not to the point where you drop out and wait for it.
IBM is a commercial vendor and FS does not necessarily care so much.
You got to "bug" FS yourself and explain the situation, find anyone
else who is using, or trying to use, SPSS, and have them do the same.
Even so, it is not going to happen overnight, so first you need to
find an alternative to SPSS, such as using R. In some instances you
can use Excel, though Excel is not a heavy duty statistics software.
It has its advantages for a lot of things, especially basic financial
calculations and quick and dirty estimates, but you can't drop out
waiting for some software to become accessible, especially math
software that is very unlikely to be anywhere high on a screen reader
vendors priority list.
So, I think you need to think ouside the box and have a plan b, other
than dropping out and wait. Speak up, find people in the same
situation and make sure to provide feedback as users to your favorite
screen reader vendor, whoever it may be.
Cheers
-B