[Blindmath] SPSS 19 and Windows 7 64 Bit Operating System

Tim in 't Veld tim at dvlop.nl
Tue Nov 22 15:37:06 UTC 2011

Ian,
I  faced this situation back in august / September and you can find the
discussion about it in the list archives.
To summarize: no it's not worth trying to get this to work. I wasted
many hours, trying many SPSS versions on different Windows versions, and
never got significant speech output with either Jaws or NVDA. According
to the documentation SPSS is accessible with Jaws, but even the most
optimistic reports I've seen talk of severely limited functionality. In
my experience, there's no significant functionality even though I'm sure
I had the access bridge configured properly.

In my course I ended up letting my fellow team members do SPSS (it was
only a small part of a research methods course). If you're doing a
statistics course, go with R. This works well and there's the following
excellent manual for it:
http://r-resources.massey.ac.nz <http://r-resources.massey.ac.nz>
(heading "LURN for blind R users")

It is a shame that IBM claims that SPSS is accessible with Jaws, this is
simply not true and this claim causes blind students to waste a lot of
time trying to get something to work which in reality can't work. I feel
we should try to get IBM's attention to this issue through some
collective initiative.

Good luck,
Tim