[Blindmath] to read laTex

Ben Humphreys brh at opticinspiration.org
Mon Nov 28 14:00:23 UTC 2011

Along those lines of replacing more complex tokens with more simple
ones, one could create dictionary definitions in their screen reader
so that cryptic Latex commands could be more easily understood, i.e.

\infty becomes "infinity"
\right becomes "right parenthesis"
\frac becomes fraction

Still, the tendency in Latex is to have long sequences of tokens
inside one another all preceeded by backslashesand surrounded by a
dizzying number of curly braces and in my opinion, this really
obfuscates the main concept, which is the equation itself.

I was interested to find "HR Latek" in "Infty Reader" this weekend,
described as Human Readable Latex.  This sounds like an interesting
solution but I'm having difficulty finding more information on it,
such as a translator.

I think for the occasional Latex expression, you learn the meanings
of the symbols and power through it.  If you're reading lots of
equations though, a lot of brain cycles could be saved by converting
to a more simple format, perhaps MathML then using Math Reader in a browser?

Ben