[Blindmath] jaws and Mathplayer

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Mon Oct 3 21:59:16 UTC 2011

Maria,

Thanks for your feedback.

WARNING:  the following is pretty technical and really doesn't have much to
do with math.  It's for the computer geeks on the list...

IE9 changed the way they handle namespaces, so the <math> tag is now (in
some sense) a different name than it used to be in previous versions of IE.
The way namespaces are dealt with in IE9 is one of several changes we had to
make with MathPlayer 3 (really, really soon to come out).  This means that
if JAWS is looking for a math tag and didn't update their code to deal with
IE9 changes, they won't find it in some cases.

I was about to say that your feedback blows my idea out of the water, but I
don't think it does.  Sina has a version of MathPlayer 3 for testing, and
because IE9 actually handles XHTML, we let it handle XHTML instead of
rewriting the XHTML into HTML as is done with MathPlayer 2.  So, the fact
that XHTML works for you with MathPlayer 2 is because behind the scenes,
MathPlayer has changed it to HTML and that is what IE9 sees when it starts
to parse it.

The problem with the version check is again due to a change in IE9 -- they
changed the string sent to us.  The version check code isn't finding the
right number anymore (it probably ends up getting that the version is 0 or
some such).  We are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.

We'll work with Freedom Scientific for a fix, but it never hurts to put
pressure on them and let them know that not working with MathPlayer is a
problem for you.

    Neil