[Blindmath] Tips for drawing in SVG

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Oct 4 20:46:00 UTC 2011

Hello,
Does anyone have any good tips for working out how to construct a good SVG drawing? Its that I have noticed various facts about SVG have caught me out. Here are some examples:
1. In the past when trying to create some diagrams in IVEO, it is very crucial to ensure the layering is correct so that IVEO will speak the right thing. I think there was one case where the diagram had two L-shaped lines, one inside the corner of the other, due to the poor layering the inner line was not possible to tap in IVEO. That was simple enough to correct with some layering but there were few elements involved, if many elements are involved and are of a complicated shape I could imagine the problem becoming harder.
2. Today I was using Richard Baldwin's SVG drawing tool. I wanted to create a region inside another region, both regions to have the same shading. As it was modifying something I had already created, I went to set attributes and selected both the two regions to be shaded. In the instructions for the tool it suggests using the opacity for different height shading (I have a tiger printer so this is possible for me). So I got the tool to change the opacity of the two regions to the same amount. Just reviewing the tactile output, I notice the inner region has heavier shading, I guess its due to the regions being opake and so the one shows through the other. In fact inside these two regions I have other regions which I want to be unshaded, I correctly worked that one out by setting their fill to white and not making them opake. I think I know the answer to the double shading showing (either set the regions to a grey fill and not opake or only set the outer opacity and set the inner region to have no fill).

As I can see two ways to solve the second issue, I wondered if there are recommended ways of working in SVG which will prevent me getting caught out again.

Michael Whapples

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6517 (20111004) __________

http://www.eset.com