[Blindmath] Biostatistics and SPSS

Melanie Peskoe mpeskoe at insightbb.com
Fri Oct 7 10:28:36 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

I am new to this list. I just started a master's program in public health at
the University of Louisville. While I'm absolutely loving most of the
program, I'm not loving my biostats class so much. I have never been very
good with numbers and number theory, but as this is a considerable part of
my degree program I need to learn. In the field I'll need to be able to, at
the very least, talk with others who collect and analyze the data, so this
is not a "take the class and forget about it later" kind of situation.

I have a few questions for those of you who not only understand math and
statistics, but enjoy it too. Are there ways in which you think about theory
that help you understand it better? How do you decipher all of the letters
and their various representations when you're working a problem? Are there
more effective ways that as I blind person, I can study more efficiently? I
took at midterm exam Wednesday night and I don't feel very good about it.

Next semester I am required to take an SPSS course. I have never looked at
this program. I'm using Windows 7 and ZoomText with speech. Is SPSS
compatible? Is there anything I need to know now so I can work on it before
January?

Thanks in advance for your responses and help. I appreciate your time and
feedback.

Melanie