[Blindmath] Audio scopes/light probes and other things may beuseful to science people

Bente Casile bente at casilenc.com
Sat Oct 29 16:46:22 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

I am saddened when I read about VI/blind students being discouraged from
taking math or science.  I would encourage you to not give up.  I work with
our blind students at the community college level in mathematics and
subscribe to this because it a great resource to me as an educator.  I want
to post this to say two things:
1. As a sighted person, it wasn't until I had a blind girl living in my home
that I truly realized how capable blind people are and how narrow my vision
was.  I find it ironic that a blind person helped me to see that my
perceptions of what I thought I would be able to do if I were blind, totally
blinded me from seeing how wrong I was about others.
2.  Don't let frustrations of having to fight for things wear you down to
the point where you accept other people's opinions of you.

Bente