[Blindmath] Unauthorized publication of my free online tutorials byAmazon

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Wed Sep 21 03:51:12 UTC 2011

Actually, what Amazon did was probably legal, just not very ethical. When I
publish material at cnx.org under a Creative Commons license, I
automatically give permission for others to use the material, even for
commercial purposes, provide that they give me proper attribution. I'm not
certain about the attribution in the Amazon Kindle edition since I haven't
seen inside of it. There isn't much attribution on the Amazon web site other
than my name, however.

What you could do is to write reviews on the Amazon web sites and mention
that the collections are available for free at cnx.org. You might also
mention that I update them frequently and wonder out loud if Amazon plans to
track the updates and republish the Kindle version each time I update one of
the modules.

Regarding the OOP book, I  barely got started on that when I began working
on the drawing program, so it isn't very far along yet. You probably
shouldn't count on it being available for you to use at TSVBI. I'm also
thinking about writing something about how to use SWT for experienced blind
programmers like yourself, and I may put that in the queue ahead of the OOP
book.

Dick Baldwin