[Blindmath] MathML: JAWS does not render greek symbols or minuses and NVDA doesn't render any formulae/symbols

Birkir R. Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 08:30:12 UTC 2012

Why not use MathPlayer 3 (could work better)?
Are you trying to view the source locally or online (I take it the
latter, if you are using the URL). If this is locally there are
security settings in IE that will prevent the math from rendering
publically, and you must change the security setting for local content
to allow active content. I've had that problem before.
Also, if the math is authorred in Word with MathType, all math must be
authorred in the MathType environment. If you go for a shortcut, such
as inserting single symbols without using MathType, it won't create a
MathML string for that type,and subsequently, won't necessarily be
read correctly by MathPlayer.
Not sure any of this is to blame, but it is very odd if you are having
problems only with certain math symbols.
hth
-B