[Blindmath] Reading and Writing Math

Birkir R. Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 15:34:59 UTC 2012

John

Brilliant piece of work. I am reviewing it.
I'd be happy to alpha test (not that I am a math genius, but I am
currently working on an Icelandic translation of MathPlayer with a
math PHD guy, who has gotten very interested in spoken math as a
result, and would be a very good sounding board for this notation in
my opinion).
I'd also be happy to broadcast this work through my position within
the European Blind Union (on their Access to Technology Committee, and
write a few articles for them), for what it is worth, which may not be
much.
So are you actively working with Neil and Design Science to have this
notation work out-of-the-box with MathType's LaTeX set of translators
already, or is that something you are planning to do?
I have always believed in the power of 8-dot braille when it comes to
math, sadly with very very few supporters, apart from yourself. I am
glad to see things are moving on this front. Having 255 different
patterns vs 63 (leaving out the widespace) just offers so many more
possibilities and helps eliminate all the difficulties of mapping a
print math character or notation to multiple braille symbols and back,
something that is a significant shortcoming, in my view, of all the
major braille math notations.
-B