[Blindmath] Reading and Writing Math: LEAN versus MathSpeak

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Sat Apr 14 20:29:28 UTC 2012

Hi John G.,

It would be helpful for my (and perhaps others') understanding of LEAN if
you could explain the differences between your new LEAN notation and
MathSpeak.  MathSpeak, as I'm sure you know, is a spoken form of Nemeth
braille that is similar to the "verbal math" option in MegaDots.  (John
Boyer knows more about the latter than I do so it would be great if he wants
to add some additional information.)

MathSpeak was orginally proposed by Dr. Nemeth but over the last few years
ghBraille has undertaken a large research effort to test and update
MathSpeak as necessary to ensure that the latest version of MathSpeak is
comprehensive, easy to learn and understand, and avoids ambiguity.

Sincerely,
Susan Jolly