[Blindmath] accessible uml diagrams

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed Apr 18 16:54:05 UTC 2012

Hello,
Having faced using UML diagrams in my course which I have just
completed, may be I have a few hints.

What I tended to end up using was descriptions of the diagrams the
university produced and where I needed to produce diagrams I was allowed
to submit a description. While this worked (I was able to complete the
course successfully) I feel it probably was not the ideal solution. I
say this for a few reasons: It may have worked for the small samples
which were used within the course but it could easily become confusing
for larger diagrams (even some of the course diagrams did get
complicated to follow in just a description). I also felt there was a
problem in dealing with descriptions of the visual diagram when I never
actually dealt with an actual diagram, partly because I like having
actual diagrams if I need to remember what shapes and placement is used
and also as it felt a bit meaningless to describe at the visual level
when I never dealt with one (IE. why couldn't I describe in terms of
what the visual elements represent rather than the shapes which would be
used). Another issue is that such a way of working will not intergrate
well with others, the process of getting what I need and to put my
descriptions into a normal diagram will take manual work.

I know some have mentioned using software tools which expose the UML
structure in a tree view is a workable way, it certainly overcomes the
working with others issues. Someone did mention a commercial tool (I
think it was enterprise architect http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/ but
please don't hold me to that) which was said to be accessible. I also
think that some accessibility can be got with the opensource tools from
the eclipse project http://www.eclipse.org but again I am not sure how
far one really can get (at least with the eclipse tools they are free so
even if they don't work no money has been spent on them).

There are various projects which I think are working on specific diagram
types, which potentially could include UML. One such project is
http://ccmi.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/downloads

I hope some of this has been useful.

Michael Whapples