[Blindmath] Octave

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Wed Apr 25 17:13:00 UTC 2012

I recently became aware of an interactive programming environment named
Octave, which is apparently a free open-source alternative to matlab.

It contains many powerful functions, particularly in the area of linear
algebra, matrix algebra, etc.

It also makes it possible to easily create graphs, which could probably be
sonified using the voice software.

It seems to work well with NVDA with the ''all punctuation' preference set.

I was wondering if it has been considered as a tool for teaching math to
blind and VI students.

Dick Baldwin

--
Richard G. Baldwin (Dick Baldwin)
Home of Baldwin's on-line Java Tutorials

Professor of Computer Information Technology
Austin Community College
(512) 223-4758
mailto:Baldwin at DickBaldwin.com
http://www.austincc.edu/baldwin/