[Blindmath] IPhone Bluetooth Braille Keyboard

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 15:38:56 UTC 2012

Okay, here are my thoughts.

iOS includes support for around 40 displays/keyboards. These range from the $300 EasyLink bluetooth braille keyboard to the very expensive 40-cell displays. The popular notetakers (the apex and newer Sense products) are supported, though qt units don't work so well. The common displays like the Brailliant and Focus are supported, as well as the older and less used ones like the Alva series. Most of these displays come with both a display, anywhere from 12 to 40 cells, and a keyboard which may or may not include backspace and enter keys. So, what you get to use with your iOS device depends on several factors:
•do you want a keyboard, a display, or both?
•if you include a display, do you want touch cursor keys (some, like the Braille Pen 12, lack them)
•do you want six-key or eight-key entry? For math, I strongly recommend eight-key entry so you can input grade 0 symbols in eight-dot mode.
•how many cells do you want it to have?
•do you want other features in the display, like a notetaker or calculator? If so, the Braille Edge from Hims or the Perkins Mini 14 may be good choices.

So, there are my thoughts on this topic. I personally use my apex bt as a display, but I have also used the RefreshaBraille from APH and briefly seen a Perkins Mini 14. Let me know if you have questions and I'll try to answer. Thanks.