[Blindmath] Creating graph and charts

Susan Osterhaus osterhauss at tsbvi.edu
Wed Feb 29 16:48:35 UTC 2012

Hi Maureen,

The APH Graphic Aid for Mathematics (rubber graph board) is still my
favorite tool for graphing manually, and it can be used for many years -
even at the college level! I have several YouTube videos on using the APH
Graph Board and other math tools and technology. You can access these in an
organized fashion by going to:
http://distance.tsbvi.edu/osterhaus_math_intro.html  However, at the present
time, you will find the videos outlined below. By the way, I teach my
students (Yes, they are blind!) how to take their own digital photos of
their graphs, but I allow parents and siblings to join in the fun if they
REALLY want to help. Very little labeling is done. However, index cards on a
small binder can be brailled and printed with large numbers (and letters if
need be) for identifying each problem number. So your student could
independently flip the tiny "flipchart" to the correct problem number and
place it in the corner of the graph board that is hopefully clear of data.
This way he has "labeled" each graph to match each homework problem. As your
student gets older, I'm sure they will come up with all kinds of
modifications on their own. The math teacher may have some suggestions as
well.

I have created some other videos, but apparently my media person has not yet
downloaded them to YouTube, so he and I will be getting together tomorrow to
go through his computer and find more videos for your viewing "pleasure" or
not. <grin>

I'm not as crazy about geoboards. They are definitely less expensive than
other items on the commercial market, but the APH Graphic Aid for
Mathematics is available on federal quota monies if you live in the United
States and meet certain student restrictions. So, it is essentially free of
cost.

Although your student is still a bit young for the AGC, I would recommend
that they start using an Orion TI-36X talking scientific calculator
(non-graphing) when the math teacher is ready for the entire class to start
using calculators. Hopefully your student is already proficient on the
abacus. If so, or even if not, be sure they know how to prime factor on the
abacus - very easy really. One of my students in my week-long intensive
short term program class on math tools and technology remarked that his
favorite two tools for the week were the abacus for prime factoring and the
AGC. That shows that there is a place for both low tech and high tech.

I'm also attaching a suggested adaptive tools and materials list that should
assist your student from now through high school and possibly even into
college.

Best wishes,
Susan

APH Graph Board

    An Introduction 00:09:00

    Plotting points on the coordinate plane 00:08:09

    Graphing a straight line 00:05:42

    Graphing an inequality 00:06:05

    Graphing a system of linear equations 00:07:12

    Graphing a system of inequalities using the boundary lines 00:07:12

    Graphing a quadratic (parabola) 00:07:43

    Graphing a circle on the coordinate plane 00:06:23

    Closing thoughts on graphing 00:01:27

2.  APH Braille Print Protractor

    Introduction of a protractor and the APH Braille Print Protractor
00:03:48

    Features 00:08:25

    How to use one in a textbook with binding 00:03:14

    A Teacher's Guide 00:03:52

    Drawing a print 90° angle 00:05:48

    Drawing a print 70° angle and its supplement 00:06:24

    Technique for drawing a very small print angle 00:06:24

    Drawing 90° and 70° tactile angles on the Sewell Raised Line Drawing
Board 00:04:30

    Labeling tactile angles made with the Sewell Raised Line Drawing Board
00:02:56

    Technique for drawing a very small tactile angle 00:05:09

    Drawing tactile angles on the APH Draftsman, 90°, 70°, and 110° angles
00:04:22

    Labeling tactile angles drawn on the APH Draftsman 00:06:50

    Measuring the Angles of 2-D Manipulatives 00:07:19

    Measuring Angles from the APH Geometry Tactile Graphics Kit 00:05:17

    Measuring Tactile Angles on Various Types of Paper 00:05:08

3. Orion TI-36X Talking Scientific Calculator

    Accessories 00:06:24

    Features 00:09:24

    Basic Arithmetic 00:08:23

    Fractions 00:06:21

    Simple Algebraic Computations 00:04:39

    Usefulness and Affordability 00:02:42

4. APH Cranmer Abacus

    Prime Factorization: Prime Factor, 24 00:09:13

    Prime Factorization: Prime Factor, 420 00:07:25

    Prime Factorization: Prime Factor, 630 00:04:44

Susan A Osterhaus
Statewide Mathematics Consultant
Outreach Department
Texas School for the Blind and