[Blindmath] Doing calculations with Excel?

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 10 04:08:50 UTC 2012

Sarah,

Ah. Well, you've found people who live for math. /grin/

So others have given you lists of Excel resources for that part.

Maybe it would help us give more direct information for your class and
background if you told us what you know so far in terms of math. For
instance, do you know the fundamentals of arithmetic, including the
basic operators and the order in which arithmetic functions are written
and how they are grouped so that the correct calculations can be
performed according to the right relationships? Sorry, I just blanked on
the names of everything I just mentioned. /lol/ Then again, since you're
apparently not a math fan, that sort of language probably gives you
hives anyway, Well, most of my friends break out in hives when I start
saying that according to the associative rule of whatever the heck... /lol/

Anyway, if you're not comfortable with how to write expressions like (2
+ 3)/4 - 3 or how to know the difference if the parentheses are in a
different arrangement, you might want to review those rules. If you
already know them, then you're on your way! /grin/ I'm preparing to dive
back in and hope I remember how to do it or at least that once I review
it all non visually, it will come back to me. I'm a natural math geek,
so I'm excited, but also afraid some big hairy equation will turn out to
suddenly have actual hair and fangs. Then again, I live for adventure.
/lol/ Could be in a couple of months, I'll be asking you how to do this
stuff!

Anyway, if you can give us some idea of what you do know vs. what you
want to know, there will be someone who can explain it. I think it
sounds fun having a tutor while you're getting your feet wet. Also, a
help in keeping up with the students who can look at the visual cues
like parentheses and brackets because that is what those symbols are
meant for. Look at the bright side, though. If you find you love
statistics and want to move on to regressions and all the really fun
stuff, counting opening and closing parentheses for the really fun
(hairy/fanged) equations is much friendlier with braille than with
sight. /lol/

Good luck!

Tami