[Blindmath] How useful is a GUI to blind users?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Jan 10 17:06:51 UTC 2012

I also wanted to add or possibly expand upon a previous point regarding command prompts.  When using a
screen reader in a DOS or basic Linux environment, data that is written to the screen can be intercepted
by the screen reader more or less on the way to the screen.  This means that a screen reader pretty much
speaks what is written in the order it is written.  Sometimes this resulted in hearing too much chatter,
but generally it made for a nice interactive environment when command prompts are used.  In some cases,
and Jamal will remember this, we found ways of sort of fooling systems into sending data in such a way
as to let screen readers intercept the data automatically.

In GUI environments, though, command prompts don't always speak as neatly.  In cases with which I am
familiar, screen readers speak what they speak by reacting to the content of the entire window.  They do
not necessarily see the data on its way to the window, or if they do, there is so much data that it
doesn't work well to have it all spoken.  Therefore, command prompts are generally spoken based upon
analysis of what has changed in a window.  If there is a command prompt that is in a window that is
scrolled as new commands are entered at the bottom, it can happen that the data doesn't appear to change
for example such as when one enters the same command and gets the same responses multiple times.
Sometimes the increase in overhead can even make such command prompts appear sluggish.  In short, some
of the advantages to us of a command prompt, particularly completely and reliable speaking of responses,
are not as consistent in today's operating systems.  Therefore, command prompts are not as clearly a
straight-forward option for us as we might have thought them to be fifteen years ago.  So what I'm
saying, I guess, is that even if a command prompt might be a good solution, how the command prompt is
going to be handled by screen readers needs to be examined.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson
prompting