[Blindmath] Extracting bitmap images from pdf files

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Sat Jan 28 01:19:51 UTC 2012

Hi Michael,

My comments are embedded in your text below.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Michael Whapples <mwhapples at aim.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I forgot why you want the bitmap files, its to enhance the image
> further not so it could be used by other embossers.

rgb] Well, actually I want bitmap files for both purposes. My immediate
need is to help Amanda with the pictures in her physics book. Having said
that, I also want to be able to enhance the bitmap files for embossing.
Enhancement would be nice for a Tiger, but is absolutely critical for
embossers that have no gray scale capability at all, like Amanda's Juliet
embosser. She and I have developed a program that does a respectable job of
enhancing images for a Juliet embosser once you get your hands on the
bitmap file.

rgb] In solving Amanda's problem, I am hopeful that I can develop a
solution for other blind students as well. This issue not only impacts
blind math and physics students, it also impacts every blind student using
college textbooks with inaccessible pictures.

> Is there any image printing drivers? I mean is there anything like those
> software tools which appear like a printer but output to a PDF, but instead
> they output to bitmap or JPG, that would make IVEO do what you want.

rgb] I don't know the answer to that question.

> However again as I mentioned if this was the only use you would put IVEO
> to, how does it compare on price to the acrobat pro option (providing that
> really works as adobe suggest).

rgb] I can't speak for Amanda, but I suspect that either option would be
prohibitively expensive for many blind students.

Thanks for the input.
Dick Baldwin

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/****options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/****<http://nfbnet.org/mailman/**options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/**>
>>> mwhapples%40aim.com<http://**nfbnet.org/mailman/options/**
>>> blindmath_nfbnet.org/**mwhapples%40aim.com<http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/mwhapples%40aim.com>

>>> Blindmath:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/****options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/****<http://nfbnet.org/mailman/**options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/**>
>>> baldwin%40dickbaldwin.com<http**://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/**