[Blindmath] entering college student who wants to major in physics

Daniel danielgillen at rcn.com
Mon Jul 2 00:56:45 UTC 2012

Hello,

I am Daniel Gillen, a totally blind student who has just
graduated from high school in New York City.  As I prepare to
attend Haverford College in the Philadelphia area as a possible
physics major, I have always wondered the best way of making math
materials accessible.  When I was in high school, my Teacher of
the Visually-Impaired (TVI) would always prepare math worksheets
through a process that involves converting a Microsoft Word (or
similar format) file with math in it into a Braille file through
Duxbury, with all the math text rendered in Nemeth Code.  I have
asked a blind friend of mine who attends Swarthmore College
nearby, and he gave me a few suggestions about how to manage
these types of situations (he does not use Braille primarily).
He was mentioning a program that converts Nemeth into LaTex so
that math text which I Braille can then go to an ink printer and
be handed in standard format to a professor.  However, what I am
looking for is the reverse-programs like MathType which works
with Microsoft Word and an importation of the file into Duxbury.
Are any of you on this list familiar with these programs? I would
greatly appreciate it if you could give me any suggestions on
this.  I am seeing the disability services office at Haverford on
Tuesday, and then preparing for a two-and-a-half-week trip to
Ireland and won't be back to e-mails until the 26th of the month.

Thank you,
Daniel