[Blindmath] making pdf textbook accessible

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Mon Jul 30 20:10:09 UTC 2012

No one authors in PDF, so you are not stuck with trying to make the PDF
accessible.  In this case, the document looks very much like it originated
in TeX/LaTeX.  Try to get that source from the professor.  As John Gardner
mentioned, you could try reading the LaTeX directly.  Another option is to
convert the TeX into XHTML+MathML and read it using IE+MathPlayer.  There
are several converters, each with its strengths and weaknesses.  The two
I'd recommend trying first are:
LaTeXML:  http://dlmf.nist.gov/LaTeXML/
TeX4ht:  http://tug.org/applications/tex4ht/mn.html

Here's a page that mentions others:  http://jblevins.org/log/xml-tools

If it doesn't come from LaTeX, there are likely other options available.

Good luck,

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~