[Blindmath] Consultation regarding an Academic Mission Needed

Tim in 't Veld tim at dvlop.nl
Sat Jun 2 12:30:27 UTC 2012

Hamid,
What graduate program will you take in which university? Do you depend
on speech or can you effectively read large print?

Regarding course load you'll just have to see how it works out - it all
depends on your individual circumstances, time you can commit to the
courses and previous experience. If you just turned visually impaired it
would be reasonable to assume you'll probably need some extra time for
your program but nobody can give you a generalized advice. Just check
how it goes only don't carry on trying to keep up with all courses for
too long if you notice you can't keep up, drop one of them in time.

Your equipment list looks good. You may consider a magnification product
such as Magic for which you can download a demo at the freedom
scientific website to check if this is effective for you. Jaws is
probably the best screen reader for programmers and even supports
Microsoft visual studio 2010.

A large screen is very beneficial when programming, but what size you
need depends entirely on your residual vision and the only way to find
that out is by trying a few options. Personally I have a very limited
vision and a 19" screen is optimal for me, larger screens or widescreens
just make it harder for me to keep an overview of the screen.
I have my monitor on a monitor arm, so I can bring it very close to my
face. If like many visually impaired users you have to bend over your
desk to see your monitor I highly recommend a monitor arm, the Newstar
D940HC is a very flexible choice.