[Blindmath] Understanding how to draw 3D objects

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Mar 23 09:13:37 UTC 2012

Unfortunately that page is awful to read as there's so many meaningless
heading structures and distracts from the reading with a screen reader.

However from what I was gathering it sort of is dealing with what I was on
about. One thing I am not sure of is, the difference between computer 2D and
3D drawing libraries, and then how these relate to drawing in LaTeX for
paper documents (if they apply at all to this type of drawing).

After Andrew's message I think I can specify what I need a bit better. I am
able to create the internal mental 2D image of the object, however this
image is probably very visual, may be even to the standard of a photo. My
difficulty is going from that internal image to what lines and other
elements I need to specify in LaTeX to achieve my mental image, this may
include what parts of my mental image can I simplify and still maintain the
affect of the 3D object. As an example, for a torus I probably would still
use shading to show lighting sources to help show the 3D affect, however the
torus in the wikibook does not use shading and Andrew didn't say he used any
shading either, so may be I could get away without using shading (shading
would have significantly complicated that wikibook drawing, not sure about
Andrew's drawings). For some reason I seem to think shading for lighting is
more important on curved surfaces as when drawn on paper you don't have any
lines showing corners which may indicate a change of direction, IE. while
simpler to shade correctly, I would see it less important to shade the side
of a cube.

I think its the decomposing an image into the element parts which is
difficult, particularly as its more work for me to compare the final result
with my internal image.

Michael Whapples