[Blindmath] Life After Images

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Mar 23 10:07:59 UTC 2012

The only thing which comes to mind is, if taking such an approach will one
take the same meaning from the data?

To illustrate what I mean, I think back to a humourous exert from a book on
the radio, Alan Coren's "Core Coren", the episode name "out for lunch".
Unfortunately I can not give a link to listen as the BBC does not have this
currently available to listen to, but if you do a google search you may find
an unofficial download. Alternatively I think its an exrt from Alan Coren's
book "A bit on the side".

In short in that Alan Coren discusses how historians sometimes seem to be
able to give us such wonderful stories of how things were from so few facts
and he muses over alternative explainations of the few facts (eg. how do we
know some of these ancient cultures were hunters, may be the tools they made
were things they had made and were admiring and thinking about how to use
and the animal bones surrounding the human skelitons are simply from animals
which came to eat these people who didn't know how to use the tools for
fighting. Any broken animal bones, may be they were really created by the
animals fighting each other so that they would get a larger piece of the
feast of defenceless human. He goes on in such a style expanding it further
and further.)

I just wonder whether image data may be able to give us potentially other
meanings if we process it in other ways?

Yes there probably is more innovative ways of providing access to image
data, however it might be worth keeping in mind one needs to draw the same
conclusin of what it shows in the end (IE. a photo of a tree, well the
observer should still recognise a tree when viewing it in the other way).

Michael Whapples