[Blindmath] moving diagonally on a graph

Benjamin Davison davison at gatech.edu
Mon May 14 00:44:58 UTC 2012

Mary,

Thanks for your posting. It's great to learn about accessibility
challenges that people are facing. Often the research and development
community makes too many assumptions about what people need. I can't
speak to the arithmetic and radicals side; I agree that accessible
calculators should provide this. But I'll comment on some other parts.

Can you point me to the Georgia Performance Standards, or specific
questions that the student is facing? Is it problems like triangle
centers? For example, problems about finding the best location for a
cell tower between three cities. These are some of the most difficult
math problems at the Georgia Academy for the Blind. You can find the
standards at
https://www.georgiastandards.org/Standards/Pages/BrowseStandards/MathStandards9-12.aspx
.

There are two key parts to graphing: point estimation and trend
analysis. While trends are important, point estimation in many ways is
more fundamental. For example, you mentioned how the student misread the
starting coordinates, and that affected your son's answers. Finding the
coordinates on a visual graph is still x-y, even though the lines are
diagonal.

You make a great point about using tools on a test; many useful tools
may not be approved (or appropriate) for a test. For example, they might
give too much information for a test situation. But, if that tool helps
the student learn the concept, then the student may more easily be able
to use a different tool during a test. Going further, developers must
keep testing in mind. One way is to ensure that the construct is being
preserved with the tool. For example, the steps used in one way is the
same as a different way. More rigorously, developers can evaluate
whether VI students do no worse and sighted students do no better. This
could show that VI students are not getting an "unfair advantage" with
the tool.

I'm running research on accessible math in Georgia. If you, your
student, or his TVI and teachers are interested in participating in
research, please contact me offlist, davison at gatech.edu.

Thanks,
- Ben