[Blindmath] MATLAB & JAWS

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Thu Nov 8 14:59:07 UTC 2012

I remember back when I did a course which involved matlab, there were
some settings which could be changed which improved accessibility a bit.
It still wasn't perfect but I could do enough to get by. However that
was a few years ago, so things might have changed.

I know that some people use Octave from the command line as an
alternative to matlab. I believe a good amount of matlab code will work
in Octave, but there are some things it lacks so depending on what the
course requires it may or may not be suitable.

As for C programming, that should be fine. The C compiler used on the
course may or may not be accessible with Jaws, but there certainly are C
compilers which are accessible (one could even resort to using the
Microsoft tools, I think they have the free express version of visual
studio the student could use or the compiler in the Windows SDK).

Michael Whapples