[Blindmath] new publication about R accessibility

Jonathan Godfrey a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sun Nov 11 23:08:54 UTC 2012

Thanks Michael,

Such snippets of good information are what makes being on this list so
valuable for me.

Re Orca vs Speak up:
I didn't intend to mention every way we gain access to software and
operating systems as I think this is a conversation that must be had between
a student and their lecturer if required at all. Lecturers do need to know
that we can do something not necessarily how we do it.

Re wx vs any other useful GUI creation tools.
I mentioned wx because it links to software of a similar kind to R. I also
don't know of software built using any other toolkit in such an explicit way
as does the Maxima project. Again, I wanted to show what is possible not get
side-tracked onto which toolkit is to be preferred among those that are
creating useful software for us. I'd love to learn of applications built
using any other toolkits that do lead to useful software for us, so please
do share - especially if the software is free like Maxima and R.

Cheers,
Jonathan