[Blindmath] The inline math problem affecting the proposal to use UEB text and Nemeth math

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Sun Oct 28 06:20:47 UTC 2012

I don't really read braille (that's an understatement!) so I don't have an
informed opinion to express in this matter.  But I do want to point out to
those of you who do have opinions in either direction that the people you
need to be discussing this with are the people who vote.  From the BANA
site, here are the voting members:

Sandy Greenberg,Alternate Text Production Center of the California
Community Colleges (ATPC)
Kim Charlson, American Council of the Blind
Frances Mary D'Andrea, American Foundation for the Blind
Mary Nelle McLennan, American Printing House for the Blind
May Davis, Associated Services for the Blind
Diane Wormsley, Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind
and Visually Impaired
Ruth McKinney, Braille Institute of America
Sue Reilly, California Transcribers and Educators for the Blind and
Visually Impaired
Darleen Bogart, CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind)
Kim McEachern, Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Maryann Bartkowski, Horizons for the Blind
Jackie Sheridan, National Braille Press
Judy Dixon, National Library Service for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped
Cindi Laurent, National Braille Association
Jennifer Dunnam, National Federation of the Blind

Sorry -- I don't have email addrs, but I'm sure they can be found via
search or queries to the people who run the various groups.

I'm sure that many of the groups have procedures to determine how their
member will vote.  E.g., it sounds like NFB decided at their convention
this summer.  Others might decide based on the recommendations of a small
group of people.  If you want to influence the vote, you need to be in
touch with these people as it is very likely that many very little
knowledge of the advantages and disadvantages of the change as it affects
technical material. I would be surprised if any of them know Nemeth code,
so it is up to experts like Susan and Steve and others on this list to make
them aware of the pros and cons of the change.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~