[Blindmath] New products being developed

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 12 00:50:26 UTC 2012

Hi Ruchi,
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, and maybe there are products available I'm
not aware of, but the surest math product at the moment is still Braille,
and if you're in North America, Nemeth code. Is your son becoming familiar
with it? It's essential he should for future success and the ability to keep
pace with his sighted peers. The only suggestion I have for you would be
Nemetex, which does a pretty good job (though the Nemeth must be very
accurate) of translating Nemeth into LaTeX, a common markup language which
can be translated into standard print math using programs such as MiKTeX or
Scientific Notebook. Math Type is a good program, but I'd wonder if learning
LaTeX at age 9 would be advisable unless your son is really into
computer-type things: it can be quite a learning curve initially.

I'm not a developer nor a particularly skilled technical person as I had the
luxury of itinerant teachers who could transcribe my Nemeth hard copy
Braille into print for my sighted teachers throughout public school, so I'm
sure others will have greater insight than I.
Sarah