[Blindmath] ways to do Nemeth on the BrailleNote

Aine Kelly-Costello ainekc at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Sep 16 04:55:26 UTC 2012

Hi there,

I just ran across the nfbnet-hosted lists and have just joined
this one.  I'm in my final year of school and take A Level Maths
(Cambridge exams).

In case anyone else is interested in how to do Nemeth on a
BrailleNote (and sorry if it's been discussed before, I haven't
browsed the archives) ...
You essentially can just use US computer braille, but you will
probably always want to take full advantage of the unicode tables
which let you enter key combinations and display combinations for
basically any character you'll need (except for braille-only
ones, like fraction open/close, the termination sign you put
after a sqrt or recurring decimal etc; you'll just have to
explain to your teacher how those ones work).  (I use a visual
display for my exams, so my BN's hooked up to a laptop screen,
and the amanuensis can see what I'm writing straight away.)
One slight hickup is that the Apex's unicode tables need the
MPower file installed to let you successfully enter the key and
display combinations through them (I can send it if anyone wants
it), but you can alternatively enter the dot combinations
manually (let me know if anyone wants instructions).

This, for example, will let you enter things like the correct
square root sign, theta, degrees sign, pi, integral, identical
to, tends to (the rightward arrow) etc etc.  You can also change,
for instance, the equals sign to display as it would in nemeth if
you like.

Hope that helps,

Best wishes,

Aine