[Blindmath] Tactile Touchscreen Technology

Ken Perry kperry at blinksoft.com
Fri Feb 1 11:32:49 UTC 2013

A co-worker went to CES this year and told me  he talked to the Tactus and
saw a couple of the panels.  It is true that you have to decide in advance
where you want the buttons.  They raise up and down using a jell like glass.
You could not get the resolution with the current technology they are using
for graphics or braille.

As for the second I have also used a panel that was an example of this
technology.  My personal opinion is it was no better than using an Android
tablet that could vibrate and having it vibrate when you touch a line.  True
it had feeling and you could tell the difference between one type of
resistance pattern and another but not really at a  great resolution as of
yet.

The good news is there are so many commercial companies working on tactile
touch type devices that I think that it will be before 2015 that we finally
start seeing usable technology on the market.

Ken