[Blindmath] SPSS 21 Accessibility

Faiz Rasool faiz7r at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 07:28:08 UTC 2013

Khalid,

I should point out that SPSS 21 with all modules is a download of around 900
MB. So please  look into it.

Secondly, SPSS is not  completely accessible. You cannot enter your data in
the data editor. The workaround is  that the data is  entered in excel and
then imported to SPSS. You can use the  menus in  SPSS to perform tasks
like creating a new variable, giving value labels, requesting for
computations like regression and other analytical techniques. But  when it
comes to reading the output you need to export the output window to Ms word
before it can be read with any screen reading software. I should add that
often Jaws behaves very sluggishly  when  we  try to open menu items, and
I've found NVDA to be more   stable in when working with menus in the data
editor.

Along with R, I've read that Stata is also accessible with screen readers,
but I've  very limited experience of working with stata so cannot  comment,
perhaps some other member  would be able to give opinions about Stata.
You've already received a link about resources for R.

Hth,
Regards,
Faiz.