[Blindmath] SPSS 21 Accessibility

Khalid K kaak42 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 17:47:27 UTC 2013

Hi Faiz,

Yes, you're right. I downloaded the wrong file. Now, It's:
SPSS v21 for Windows 64 bit
Win 7/64/Win 8/64
 948MB

I'll google Stata to know more about it. I'm not sure if it would be
applicable for this course or not. I know that SAS is not applicable as an
example because we will mainly use statistic for research related to
education.

The aim of this module is to provide an introduction to the use of
statistical methods for the analysis of quantitative data and their
application in a range of disciplinary contexts. This will include both
descriptive statistics and elementary inferential statistics. The emphasis
will be on the practical application of statistical methods and the
interpretation of results using the statistical computer software SPSS.
Little previous knowledge of statistics and no previous knowledge of SPSS
are assumed. One of the learning outcome is to be able to carry out and
interpret statistical analyses (including hypothesis tests about means and
proportions, the chi-squared test of independence, one-way ANOVA, and simple
linear regression) using SPSS.

The suggested reading books which cover the course material, for this course
are
- Field, A. (2009). Discovering Statistics using SPSS (3rd edition). London:
Sage.
- Gomez.  Statistical Methods in Language and Linguistic Research, published
by Equinox.
- Connolly, P. (2007). Quantitative Data Analysis in Education: a Critical
Introduction Using SPSS. London: Routledge.
- Diamond, I. and Jefferies, J. (2000). Beginning Statistics: an
Introduction for Social Scientists. London: Sage.
- Salkind, N. J. (2010). Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate
Statistics (4th edition). Sage: London.
- electronic resource for material covered during the course (in effect, an
electronic statistics textbook) is available
online at: http://www.statsoft.com/textbook/stathome.html.

I heard that Window-eyes 8 should work with SPSS because of WE8 latest java
implementation. Any further clarification in this? For Jaws 14 and NVDA, do
I have to change any default settings to have them work with SPSS 21? Are
there any instructions that I should take into consideration before
attempting to use SPSS21?

Thanks,
Khalid