[Blindmath] Integrating SVG with DAISY and MathML

Kiran Kiran at persiontechnologies.com
Thu Feb 28 16:21:03 UTC 2013

Hi Tim,

I really liked to read what you have written and am writing back on the
subject. I may sound explaining but I wish to humbly submit that the
explanation may kindly be treated by one and all as a way to comprehend for
the better understanding of the situation and the related approaches, it
might look little lengthy or repetitive in some context but I request to all
to read and correct me if found so.

Pranav had presented the list  with the problem of making SVG accessible and
be readable in daisy with Math ML so when I wrote the program to import a
SVG element / Object in the Word file which usually is the input to the
Daisy Pipeline or similar programs. So my assumption was that it should be a
shape drawn in SVG or groups of them which are generally possible to be
drawn using an editor for SVG. And when a SVG object is created there shall
naturally be a title (he mentioned Accessible) and relevant information
which I proposed to be put dynamically in the alt deception of the shape in
the word file that we normally use the way to describe an image.

So assuming I have a well described SVG object which I want to be a part of
the Daisy Talking book I have to do something like this.

Run the small script and import the SVG object in to the word(please read in
binary format the way word would store all the details of shapes drawn in MS
Word) still maintaining all the original shape attributes intact.
Populate the Alt Description of this shape with the description of the SVG
object. I did not see the reason of having the images as written by you but
that is a part of the huge Artificial Intelligence aspect agreed with you.

On the same note I would also like to share that I recently had an
interaction with the freedom scientific's technical support with regards to
the ability of a user to input or read the shapes ( through the DOM) that
are a part of the standard ribbon tools in the MS Word 2007 or above, while
the JAWS screen reader is  running and I have received an answer saying NO.
where as it is possible to dig into the Document Object Model and know the
shape details like type, location, dimensions etc. this is an aspect needed
for me in one of my projects and hence I had worked on them. One can
certainly read the objects in the word file and know of its properties.

I have recently joined this wagon hence all my seniors may please excuse me
for my approaches, I wish to utilize my knowledge to these applications. I
shall surely look forward to your comments on all the aspects.

With Warm Regards,

Kiran

DISCLAIMER:-

This e-mail message (including any attachment) is intended only for the
personal use of the recipient(s) named above. This message is confidential
and may be legally privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, you
may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete
the original message.
Any views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author
only. Furthermore, this message (including any attachment) does not create
any legally binding rights or obligations whatsoever, which may only be
created by the exchange of hard copy documents signed by a duly authorized
representative of the company If Official or other wise signed by the Author
on Valid Documents.