[Blindmath] thoughts on a PIAF please

Susan Osterhaus osterhauss at tsbvi.edu
Fri Jan 25 22:54:01 UTC 2013

I really like creating my geometry tactile graphics on SwellTouch paper
and running them through a PIAF. All the angles are so nice and crisp. I
create them using the MS Word drawing program. I first create the
braille-labeled one using the SwellBraille font (in 24 pt size)
recommended by the BANA Tactile Graphics Guidelines. You can obtain the
font for free by downloading from the Duxbury or the TSBVI website.
http://duxburysystems.com/product2.asp?product=The%20Braille%20TrueType%20
Fonts&level=free&action=pur or
http://www.tsbvi.edu/resources/1087-download-braille-and-asl-specialty-fon
ts  Then I go back in and change all the braille to a large print font,
and I have the exact same graph for my low vision students. It is both a
great tactile graphic and a wonderful black line graphic for the low
vision students. If you have a student who is transitioning from print to
braille, this can really give them a fun headstart. If they still have
some vision, they can both see and feel the graphic on SwellTouch paper.
You might start with large print and then transition over to braille.

Susan