[Blindmath] Audio Calculus WAS Re: relearning calculus

Ken Perry kperry at blinksoft.com
Thu Mar 21 00:52:53 UTC 2013

I started with matrixes in college what they called math 105 and did all the
way up to the third level Calculus using audio.  In all 5 classes including
Trig and I did it all with audio and a reader.  I got to the point I could
do 5 page math problems without a reader (I actually did that ona  oral test
once)  So it is something you can do but understand I was sited till I was
20 and had an equivalent to an AS in electronics before I lost my site.  So
I am still a visual learner even though I am 100% blind.  It's just the way
my brain works.  When I was sited I could flip through a math book right
before a test and using the examples I saw I would Ace the test.  So when I
study I actually have to think of the pictures.  I used all the books from
RFBD to get my degree and it worked great for me.  Now with that all said.
I now work for APH and have seen the benefits of braille.  I am sure you
have all seen the project I am working on with Orbit research and TI which
is the new Talking / audio graphing calculator  and it will have braille out
simply because it's something that is a very important part of math for
someone who cannot conceptualize in pictures in their mind.  It's important
to be able to see the whole problem and if that means you have to do it on
paper braille is the way to go.  So yes for some people they can do
everything from audio but I think the number is far lower than those who
cannot.

Ken