[Blindmath] Dr. Nemeth

Sina Bahram sbahram at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 2 19:22:50 UTC 2013

I was quite sad to hear this news. Dr. Nemeth was a really wonderful man to
talk to. I'm so happy we had him over to the university when I was an
undergrad. We even threw him a birthday party after one of his hilarious and
inspiring talks, which is one of my more fond memories of interacting with
him.

The provost, various department heads, and so forth were waiting in a line
to meet him, but he kept enjoying his slice of cake, explicitly  ignoring
them, and telling me story after story about teaching automata theory,
particular challenges in teaching differential equations to sighted
students, etc. He knew how to make you feel special.

I had no idea he knew anything about computer science. I just thought he was
the math guy that allowed me to participate in science and math because of
his Braille code. So it was just such a pleasure to geek out with him over
cake.

I was on a conference call with him a few months ago, and he was still as
sharp and brilliant as ever.

R.I.P. Dr. Nemeth, and thank you for everything, sir. You'll be missed.

Take care,
Sina

Twitter: @SinaBahram
Website: http://www.SinaBahram.com