[Blindmath] Math Conversion Software - was Dr. Nemeth

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Oct 3 17:59:01 UTC 2013

mike,

If you are targeting children in the United States, I believe that using Nemeth Code as the target makes sense.  I mentioned the
existence of other codes because we have a worldwide audience on this list and I wanted to acknowledge that.  I do not know,
though, which is the most common format used by teachers to generate lessons.  This might be worth some investigation.

I would also be interested in understanding better the "problem-solving" aspects of what you are proposing.  My understanding was
that you were primarily interested in developing a process to translate from a source to Nemeth Code and to translate from Nemeth
Code to a format that can be printed.  If there are steps in the solution of an equasion, wouldn't you depend upon the instructor
to write the steps thereby making the job of your software to translate?  If you plan on making your software more than a
translation tool by including equasion solving capability, that adds to the complexities.

Finally, writing the code in C might well be a good idea.  Please note, though, that there are two approaches that can make Java
work with screen readers.  Both approaches require that certain JAVA libraries be used, and my understanding is that using
specific libraries can make using certain other JAVA libraries that might be needed a bit more difficult.  Among others, Dr.
Baldwin, who is on this list, has some experience with this in his SVGDraw program, as does John Boyer on the Braille Blaster
project.  John's project is also doing some with Nemeth, and there may be some connections with Braille Blaster and what you are
proposing that you might want to explore with him.  There is also a program to convert Latex to Nemeth as well.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 12:03:01 -0500, Mike Jolls wrote:

>Steve

>Thank you for such a positive and thoughtful response.  It's non-argumentative and objective replies like yours that I welcome.

>I don't mind at all that you changed the name.  I had that in the back of my mind, so this title really reflects what the topic
is about.

>In my software, I'm really just getting off the ground ... trying to write software that will take math expressions, and solve
them.  Even this process is not trivial.  Luckily I'm a professional developer and I've had some advanced training plus the math
background.  That helps, but to get a program that will do what I say .. to take a problem, parse it, solve it line by line, step
by step so that the solutions can be presented to the student is not a trivial task.  But then .. after my project that I alluded
to in a previous post ... I knew that something like this would be a lot of work on me.  No surprises, and at least I was aware of
the complexity of what I was biting off.

> You mention that BANA has formally adopted Nemeth as it's presentation within UEB.  That's good to know.  I don't currently know
Nemeth code .. it's on my to-do list.  Heck (grin) I only learned literary braille about 5 years ago and I'm still trying to get
my reading rate up to what I consider an acceptable level.  That's a whole different topic right there.  So to carry this project
out to it's logical conclusion, I'll have to investigate Nemeth, or confer with someone who already knows it.  But the plan was to
take each intermediate step that the program outputs and convert it to Nemeth so the student can see each line as it's solved so
they can see each step in how you get from the original problem statement to the final answer.

>You touched on the possibility that others would want to use other presentation formats such as LaTex.  I totally get that ...
that Nemeth is not the only method of presenting the output that this "math solver" would spit out.  That's why I also alluded to
an "intermediate language".  I don't know if I even want to take that on in the beginning, but if the equation solver had an
intermediate language that it output ... then in theory anybody could read that intermediate syntax and convert it to the output
method of their choice.  That will have to be done if multiple target platforms are going to be supported.  Yes, I've thought
about that, but for right now I have my hands full just working on the problem solver software.  Incidentally, I'm writing it in
Java, but I see the need to also do it in C++ so it could run on native Windows PC's.  Writing it in Java, you might be able to
run it in a Browser.

>I'll leave my response to that and wait for comments.  But as I say, I'm just trying the software to recognize and solve the
problem.  That's a big task in and of itself.

>Mike

>> From: steve.jacobson at visi.com
>> To: blindmath at nfbnet.org
>> Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 10:51:13 -0500
>> Subject: [Blindmath] Math Conversion Software - was Dr. Nemeth
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> I took the liberty of changing the subject since this could be an on-going discussion. The Braille Authority of North America
>> (BANA) has considered the Nemeth Code to be the standard braille code for mathematics for some time, and the recent adoption by
>> BANA of Unified English Braille has preserved the use of Nemeth Code for mathematics. Therefore, it seems reasonable to assume
>> that Nemeth Code will be a standard approach to the education of children in the United States for the foreseeable future.
There
>> are several other mathematical codes used globally, though, and as you know, there are other variations used for higher math.
>>
>> You are certainly correct that among those who have pursued math beyond high school, there have been multiple approaches taken,
>> and that the LATEX approach might be more than kids should have to take on. Still, it would be nice if we could come up with a
>> solution for kids that would bring together existing conversions where possible. I know there has already been some work to go
>> from LATEX to Nemeth, for example and there has been other work that goes from other formats to LATEX. There has been work to
>> convert math contained in Word documents as well, and there are people on this list who are involved some in all of these
efforts
>> and others I have not specifically described.
>>
>> While there have been partial solutions, the problem seems to generally turn out to be more complex than it seems it should be
on
>> the surface. That doesn't mean it can't be solved, but it needs to be examined closely. One consideration is that the problem
of
>> translating into Nemeth Code is somewhat different than backtranslating into another format. Besides the fact that there may be
>> some ambiguities in the code, those who use Nemeth Code for reading don't have the level of understanding that one who
transcribes
>> the code has. I think there needs to be a way for a blind child, particularly an older one, to have some means of knowing that
>> what he or she wrote in Nemeth Code is resulting in a print copy that represents what was intended. You also have to consider
>> that to my knowledge there really is no standard that covers what mainstream teachers use. Word is probably fairly commonly
used
>> in schools, but I would hesitate to assume how widely it is used. In addition, we increasingly are needing to find ways of
>> dealing with mathematical expressions in electronic texts resulting from manual scans and those prepared by publishers. This is
>> probably separate from the issue you are trying to confront but it could play a role.
>>
>> The high-level statement of the problems faced by blind children in your note is very much on target. It would be good, though,
>> for us to get an idea of what approaches you may have already looked at to develop your software and perhaps to hear from
others
>> here who have worked some with various conversion processes. Interestingly, Apple says that there is some support for Nemeth
Code
> [...]
technology,
>> demonstrating various things. I think it's great that you're out there putting the videos up on YouTube. I wanted to start out
>> by saying that I your presence gives good information to people so they know that the tools are out there. Keep it up.
>> >
>> >You may have seen some posts that I have been writing about working on Math software. I've heard young people in our area (I'm
>> in Nebraska) who tell me that when they were in school, they fared terribly in math. They didn't have math books that they were
>> allowed to take home, or they got their books late and were behind ... well there are a number of reasons that they didn't do
well
>> in math. When I heard some of the problems as blind students that they had, it just got under my skin. I thought .. "there has
>> to be a way that blind students can get the material they need .. somehow that the teacher can interact with them despite the
fact
>> that school districts are cutting Braille instructors that would have helped the students in the past because of budgets." That
>> led me to think of writing software to allow the teacher to enter the math lessons in Word, for example, and have a program
>> translate it to Braille format, say Nemeth. Then the student uses the program I develop to work the problems in Nemeth. The
>> program could even solve the problem step by step if the student needed help. When the student figures out the answer, he or
she
>> writes the solution in Nemeth and saves it, then gives the solution file back to the teacher. The teacher opens it and the copy
>> of the software the teacher has translates it back to Word, or whatever the preferred format is.
>> >
>> >You get the idea. Software that allows the teacher directly interact with the student without the teacher having to know
>> Braille. If school districts are going to cut Braille teachers from the budgets, then in my mind something has to be done so
that
>> the student can continue to communicate with the teacher who doesn't know Braille.
>> >
>> >Now with that background, here's a question for you. I'm sure there are a lot of people thinking the same thing I'm thinking
of.
>> Some are using LaTex, some are using other forms of Braille besides Nemeth. In other words, many people, many solutions. The
>> problem with that is that you'd (as an end user consumer) have to learn a lot of different systems. Really in my mind, there
>> should be a national standard that a governing board such as BANA sets forth the standard saying ... "you will present material
in
>> ABC format". I'm saying "ABC" in the sense that I'm not saying Nemeth, or UEBC, or Computer Braille, but just saying there
SHOULD