[Blindmath] IOS7 and math support

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 5 19:47:07 UTC 2013

Hi Ed,

It's great to see you on this page.

You wrote that if you connect a braille display to VO it should display
Nemeth math.  Being sighted, I don't have a braille display but have been
quite involved in the problem of developing software for converting MathML
to Nemeth braille.  Do you have any information as to how this conversion is
done in VO?  I'm interested in the technical details of the conversion
engine.

Also, is there any way to view the Nemeth math output if one
doesn't have a braille display?  Such an option would make it possible for
sighted Nemeth transcribers to help ensure that the Nemeth math produced by
VO is correct Nemeth as well as consistent with the print source. It would
also make it possible for sighted persons including parents, teachers, and
transcribers to use VO as a way of learning Nemeth braille math.

I understand that people are having various frustrating interface
difficulties with iOS7 which hopefully will be addressed. Meanwhile, I'm
interested in learning exactly how the conversion is being done.

Thank you,
Susan Jolly