[Blindmath] Computer Braille on Apex

Daniel danielgillen at rcn.com
Wed Oct 9 18:13:43 UTC 2013

Dear KC,

This is also what I found-there is no direct way of typing a line
over a number in Computer Braille, or in fact any diacritic above
another symbol (unless the character in question is an accented
letter, of course-which also depends on which Computer Braille
code/table you're using).  As I am studying physics and other
higher math courses, I have been clever enough to make frequent
use of the Unicode tables, as well as creating very significant
expansions to the tables so that characters not available in the
default tables can be used without one having to type the
character code.  Since there is also no "horizontal line above"
diacritic or other symbol in the default Unicode table, you may
want to try going to the Unicode Table by pressing Space with
dots 3 and 5, then typing the number 713.  Though you will hear
"character 713" and see the number on the Braille display, keep
in mind that this stands for the "Macron" (horizontal line) which
is placed over a letter or other symbol (it is technically in the
"Spacing Modifier Letters" block, but is skipped over in the
default table which came with the Apex).
But just for the future, if you wanted to learn more about
Unicode characters and how to enter them, you can check out the
last section of Chapter 7 of the BrailleNote User Guide.

Thank you,
Daniel